Monday, August 23, 2010

Teaching Pronunciation - a Discussion



Over to the ESL Cafe Mexico section for a discussion on teaching pronunciation, or avoiding it.

It seems to me that we really don't teach pronunciation and intonation these days. I know that i am guilty of thinking that maybe it's too difficult (for me to get my head round), so I'll just steer clear of pronunciation and more importantly intonation practice.

Do you do the same? Why is this?

In another thread we are talking about how salaries and teachers values haven't increased over the years- maybe we should re-evaluate what we're teaching!

Any student can arguably learn grammar and vocabulary from a book or off the internet, but pronunciation and intonation is a clear point of difference for us native speakers.

I'm going to be incorporating a lot more of it into my classes from now on. Maybe THIS is the future....?


The "sounds of the English Language", in all its complexity, is indeed a challenge to teach if your students are already too old to be good mimics. But, I'm going to attempt it, and hope to see some improvement you can spot.

Working in the SAC and using the program called, Clear Speech from the Start, Cambridge Univ Press, I'll be offering active practice for those who desire it, as a test of its usefulness. I plan to make before and after recordings, and invite native speakers to identify "which is which".

I'm hoping for an eight week commitment to an hour a week, in two half hour sessions. I hope somebody signs up....


Teachers Latin America - Teaching in Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment